Awhile back I saw this fabric bucket (above) on Pinterest. Why it sunk in with me more than some other project, I don't know, but it did and I set out to make one. I just think they are super cute and useful too! The first one I made was sent as a gift, so I went through my fabric scraps to make another this past weekend. This Mary Engelbreit fabric is some that my Mom made an apron for me out of when I was in college! Now the leftovers are a new little thread bin for my sewing table :)
You can find a nice tutorial for this bucket HERE, but I did make a few alterations, so I'll share them too...
So, here's the thing: Math and I don't get along all that well. I'm capable of dealing with numbers, just not necessarily willing. :P (My engineering-Masters-degree-brother got those genes!) So, I didn't actually do the equation to figure out circumference/ length of my sides. Instead, I just wrapped my measuring tape around the bowl I used for the bottom! Ta da... solved... kinda... you'll see what I mean in a sec.
I also used the medium weight interfacing I had on both the lining and the outside wall pieces, rather than heavyweight on one side. Mine was fusible, so I didn't baste either. Then I clipped around the bottom like she says to, only without the stitching steps. Pin to the circle: (I like how the pins look for some silly reason!)
And here's what I mean about my dodge-the-equation trick only kinda worked:
Maybe I was just too generous in my measuring, but I did end up having to re-stitch and trim the outside tube portion after I got it pinned. No skin off my nose- I admit, I'd still do it this way over the equation! :P
Another thing I altered on my bucket was adding some coordinating trim to the top, where the edge would be turned over- at this stage above, where the sides and bottom are ready to be attached to the lining. I just cut a small, thin strip the same length as the side pieces...
And once it's turned and ready to be folded down, all done:
Ta da! All finished. I actually topstitched around the turned edge, like this:
But then I decided it took away some dimension from the bucket or something, so I picked the seam and after all. My sewing skills are pretty hodge podge, I know. :P
I think I could make a lot of these in the future- they would make fun, re-usable baskets for giving gifts. I'd also like to try adding a handle for the boy's Easter baskets. :) Tons of uses for these simple little baskets!